Tuesday 18 November 2014

The fear of death...

After I hit avatar on my barbarian hitting avatar on my barbarian (hurray! 928 base hp, so it's not half bad, either), I was kindly invited by Jessyl to hunt down the Yeti of the Plains. Yeti pops a hand, and if you use a barbarian and skive (skin) the corpse after the kill, you have a chance of procuring a hide.

Object 'the gnarled hand of the yeti' is infused with your magic...
It is a level 2 trash, weight 1.
Special properties:  organic
This trash has a gold value of 0. 
Object 'the fur covered gauntlets of the plains wanderer' is infused
with your magic...
It is a level 50 armor, weight 5.
Locations it can be worn:  hands
Special properties:  none
Classes allowed:  Barbarian
Alignments allowed:  good neutral
This armor has a gold value of 235327.
Owner:  Playername
Armor class is 15 of 15.
Affects damage roll by 5.
Affects hp by 50.
Affects resistant:cold by 10%.
Affects resistant:slash by 5%.
Affects strength by 1.
Affects constitution by 1.  
Object 'the stripped hide of the corpse of the Yeti of the Plains'
is infused with your magic...
It is a level 0 treasure, weight 1.
Special properties:  none
This treasure has a gold value of 0. 

Object 'the fur lined cloak of the plains wanderer' is infused with
your magic...
It is a level 45 armor, weight 3.
Locations it can be worn:  about
Special properties:  none
Classes allowed:  Barbarian
This armor is layerable.
This armor has a gold value of 150000.
Armor class is 15 of 15.
Affects strength by 1.
Affects dexterity by 1.
Affects hp by 10.
Affects damage roll by 4.
Affects resistant:cold by 2%.
Two hands make the gauntlets, four hides make the cloak. So it takes multiple kills on Yeti just to make one of the items, although on the plus side, you could potentially get both a hand and a hide in one kill. Conversely, you could get neither and have ended up spending gold on heals and repairs. At one point when I was levelling one of my characters, Maall was busy beating Yeti down in order to equip his own barbarian crew....2-manning Yeti now with Jessyl has given me all that much more respect to Maall for doing it solo.

Yeti wanders the Northern Plains: nw, 2w, 4n, e, l painting, open north, n (from Darkhaven Square). You have to be wary not to run into the Shadow Stalker or Julajimus since they can throw a wrench into your plans if they interrupt your fight. Otherwise, Yeti seems to be a standard chokeflee run. After spelling up, including true sight and setting wimply to max, you choke, flee, log out/in, heal up, then scan around for Yeti (he moves around), then repeat the process. Once he gets down to "DYING" (the final ~10% of his hp), you stop chokefleeing and wear longblades and proceed like a normal mobkill. Jessyl and I only had time for one round on Yeti, but I found that last part to be the hardest. Since we're no longer avoiding the brunt of his damage by fleeing, you just have to quaff like mad and wait for your basic melees to finish him off. The one scoring the killing blow supposedly has to be a barbarian in order to pop a hand, so you can't just chokeflee to DYING, then switch to different characters.

I was a little surprised when I was at full hp (1493...my barbarian is pretty shabbily equipped!) and had all my spells on, I got one-shot. Yeah, it was nasty. Ran into Julajimus on the way back...died about 4-5 times total and was about to die one extra time when I was caught in bash lag, but when I had 40 hp remaining, Jessyl scored the killing blow. Unfortunately, no hands popped, and even though I have skive adepted, no hide was found either. But I think the most valuable thing I gained was a bit more experience going into these sorts of things. Yeti hits hard...he bashes, punts you into other rooms, does a whole lot of damage in a short amount of time...I died a lot, and I felt bad because I didn't want to be slowing Jessyl down...but in the end, we got Yeti down! It helped me get over my death-anxiety a bit, since the CR was fairly simple (and often, heh)...dying isn't the worst thing in the world. And when you go into a run like Yeti, maybe a death or two (or four/five) should be expected.

Again, all in all a good experience overall. Thanks, Jessyl!

*Jessyl's blog can be found in the sidebar (vilexur.blogspot.com). He's a pretty awesome explorer. Give his blog a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment