Tuesday 4 November 2014

The death of icing

Arcanes donations was out of Ice Girths (a very useful piece of equipment due to the many saves it grants you), so I decided to try something truly solo: Icingdeath! How convenient that this mob is categorized as a dragon, now that I have a (measly) bonus of +3 damage to dragons with my fighter set, haha.

The most important thing was the girth.

Object 'the Ice Girth' is infused with your magic...
It is a level 41 armor, weight 3.
Locations it can be worn:  waist
Special properties:  glow
This armor has a gold value of 175000.
Armor class is 12 of 12.
Affects armor class by -15.
Affects save vs spell by -8.
Affects save vs breath by -9.
Affects save vs poison by -9.
Affects save vs rod by -9.
Affects save vs paralysis by -9.


But the Arcanes also accept the earrings and the arm guards. I also included the Ice Orb (they scrap really easily during the fight against Icingdeath; perhaps casting armor on Icingdeath before the fight will help shield it?) since they can cast a handy sanctuary if you're in a bind. It's only a level 42 sanctuary, but it's better than nothing!

Object 'the Ice Orb' is infused with your magic...
It is a level 43 staff, weight 1.
Locations it can be worn:  hold
Special properties:  glow
This staff has a gold value of 1000000.
Has 5(4) charges of level 42:
  'sanctuary' 


Object 'the Ice Arm Guards' is infused with your magic...
It is a level 41 armor, weight 4.
Locations it can be worn:  arms
Special properties:  glow
This armor has a gold value of 200000.
Armor class is 12 of 12.
Affects armor class by -10.
Affects strength by 1.
Affects damage roll by 6.


Object 'the Ice Earrings' is infused with your magic...
It is a level 43 armor, weight 1.
Locations it can be worn:  ears
Special properties:  glow
This armor has a gold value of 150000.
Armor class is 12 of 12.
Affects armor class by -5.
Affects mana by 50.

Low tier, junky sort of equipment. But hey, I got my start using this sort of equipment, so it could help someone else down the road!

Icingdeath is located in the Darkhaven Art Gallery. Starting from Darkhaven Square, as always:
4s, w, 2n, give 5k coins receptionist, unlock north, open north (and drop the key if you're feeling kind to the next person coming through), 2n, ne, nw, 2ne, north, enter (re-cast invis here to avoid pesky, though ultimate inconsequential, mobs), d, 2e, open crack, e, d, 3n, u, d, w

There is a deathtrap close by Icingdeath, so definitely take care when inputting directions! The above route will lead you just outside the dragon's room - he is aggressive, so make sure you're properly spelled up before entering. Save vs breath, inner warmth, eldritch sphere, and dragonskin are all handy to have, as well as any extra save vs breath and resist cold you can stack on top. Make sure you've got inner warmth; I assumed the bots had cast it on Arstotzka before starting the first fight...but I think they had actually failed the cast because my pally did not have inner warmth on her for the initial two kills. Oops! I need to be more thorough in my spellups and making sure I have everything essential. I'm fortunate that Icingdeath wasn't too tough and couldn't punish me hard enough for my mistake.

The fight itself is really simple, and you can even immobilize Icingdeath with a mage to make the fight even easier. Icingdeath has no IP check, but keep an eye on your mage's health in case he takes an errant breath attack.

---------

In between kills, a newer player, Menard, asked for help on a public channel. He had entered into the Wasteland painting inside Darkhaven Art Gallery and was stuck in a norecall, nosupplicate maze. I was in between Icingdeath kills, so I logged on Curt and Grayson to help fish him out. The maze is pretty simple and I will probably make a post on it in the future as I do want to take down Dracolithos to put a few of his rings in donations at some point, but I need to think things through carefully before executing. My plan was to use Grayson to accompany him and track him out, so at the entrance of the maze I tracked him, and then had a brainfart that went along the lines of:

"Okay, he's in the maze...so........let's go with the vampire, then my thief can help track them out."

So I used Curt to step into the maze, then instantly realized my lapse in common sense. I should have entered with my thief to find Menard, then track my way out using Curt as a marker, instead of using my vampire (which can't track as effectively) and having my thief stand by uselessly. Thankfully the maze is really simple...a combination of marking visited rooms with 1 coin and scrying around for new areas brought us past Dracolithos (thankfully not aggro), and to the safe recall spot.

Lessons learned, and mob killed!

No comments:

Post a Comment